What guitars do you play?

A place to discuss the playing of Celtic music on the acoustic guitar

Moderators: orsino, markt

Postby orsino » Mon May 23, 2005 7:29 pm

Hey Geordie, I played a 12 fret Bourgeois last week that really had a great voice.
Sure would love to hear that Lowden in person some day.
orsino

Postby martinstrobel » Fri May 27, 2005 5:45 am

Martin OM-21, OM-28v, M-38, classical Teller and A&M Braeuer. But I had a little Yamaha for a long time and it was a really good guitar. I am also a big fan of Fylde.
Happy picking, Martin
---
Happy picking, Martin
martinstrobel
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby tkdsteve » Fri May 27, 2005 10:56 am

Hi, I have 2 Rod Button guitars, one in Rosewood and 1 in mahogany. Also, my new pride and joy is an Avalon A320 in rosewood
We cannot change the wind, but we can always adjust our sails.
tkdsteve
New Poster
New Poster

rod button

Postby bendigeidfran » Fri May 27, 2005 8:42 pm

Hi tkdsteve

I spent quite a lot of time in Bath when completing my teacher training in Cheltenham (way too long ago) and I feel sure I remember the Rod Button name. Could you please help jog my memory.

Cheers

dale
bendigeidfran
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

rod button again

Postby bendigeidfran » Sat May 28, 2005 12:04 am

Apologies, I think the dust stirs. Was Rod Button's shop at the corner of a side street in Weston-Super-Mare? Please put my mind at rest.

Dale
bendigeidfran
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby Finn Bjerke » Mon May 30, 2005 1:47 am

national resophonic tricone style1
national resophonic tricone style 1 baritone
national resophonic estralita 12 stringed
taylor 12 stringed
bozo 6 stringer
electric 7 stringer tuned open G with low g in bas.
Peace

Finn Bjerke - Denmark
http://www.finnbjerke.dk
Finn Bjerke
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

rod button

Postby tkdsteve » Tue May 31, 2005 9:58 am

Hi Dale,

Yes, rod used to have a shop in weston, and before that operated out of a workshop on the outskirts of weston. I met him at the sidmouth folk festival about 15 years ago and fell in love with his guitars. Had a rosewood model built which is still a truly oustanding playing and sounding instrument. A couple of years later I had a mahogany guitar built with pick-ups etc. I then heard a few years later that he had some sort of breakdown. I think the shop may still be there but I don't think he builds anymore. His instruments are fantastic sounding and it took me a couple of years of looking to find something as good as / better. The only reason I obtained an Avalon was that I slightly damaged my rosewood guitar and wanted a replacement. I did order a stefan sobell guitar after attending a week-end workshop with martin simpson. I had to cancel it though when after 6 months of waiting he put his price up by £1000! That left me looking again, and I played an avalon at bristol and really liked it. I therefore went for the custom legacy premier range and chose an A320. Only had it a month and it is a truley beautiful instrument.

Steve
tkdsteve
New Poster
New Poster

rod button

Postby bendigeidfran » Tue May 31, 2005 2:51 pm

Hi 'Steve'
Yes, it all came back to me. The shop is no longer there though I haven't been to Weston this year (shall do this summer though) so I couldn't tell you what is there now. I came across it when looking for the model shop around the corner for my son. Rod used to have all sorts of ethnic xylophones and drums in the front window and I remember several of his own guitars on the racks. I couldn't afford them, I remember (hadn't learned the virtue of saving at that time). I did buy a beautiful set of rosewood claves for next to nothing! I'd like to take a trip out to Bristol / Bath during the summer and I'll be heading straight for Hobgoblin. Any other store you could recommend? When I was in college, I seem to remember a couple of stores on St. Michaels Hill but everything has probably changed beyond all recognition now.

Cheers
bendigeidfran
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby tkdsteve » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:08 pm

A useful shop I found in bristol, where Iordered my avalon, is sound control. The guy who looks after the acoustics called Will is very knowledgable and enthusiastic. Well worth a visit and there in the middle of town, just off the broadmead shopping center.

Rod really built beautiful guitars and it was a great shame things went wrong for him. I still play both of my button guitars regularly and when martin simpson played my rosewood model he really liked it. They both cost me about £600 about 15 years ago, whereas my new avalon has cost over £2000!

Steve
tkdsteve
New Poster
New Poster

Postby PosterBoy » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:10 pm

Bourgeois Custom Slope D Walnut/Sitka.
Fender US Telecaster
Fender Deluxe 5 string Banjo
Martin D42 Copy Beater.
PosterBoy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby orsino » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:31 am

PosterBoy wrote:Bourgeois Custom Slope D Walnut/Sitka.

Man I would love to see that one PosterBoy. I played a beautiful Addy/IRW one a few weeks ago that was a cannon.
orsino

Postby ronmac » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:30 am

Yeah, I would like to see a picture too. I love what Dana does with wood :shock:

Here is my '97 Sitka Walnut JOMC.

ronmac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby PosterBoy » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:27 am

here we go. Dana does the best sunbursts

PosterBoy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ronmac » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:00 pm

Very nice, PosterBoy! I have played a few of the slope Ds with mahogany and they were outstanding. I am sure that the walnut is something else, indeed.

To quote one of the Bare Naked Lady's songs:

If I had A Million Dollars
I'd buy me a Bourgeois
A real nice slope, for sure
Perhaps a walnut or mahogany
Either one would do...
ronmac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bobgordon » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:33 pm

1998 Lowden 0-25. had some very small dings removed and a nice setup by Del Langejans (www.langejansguitars). He is the only authorized lowden repair person in north america and he does ASTOUNDING work. he also make great guitars of his own, played by phil keaggy, muriel anderson, peter frampton. Also have a Paul McGill Cedar/Rosewood classical guitar, 1990 Fender Strat Ultra. Looking for a D now for irish/bluegrass flatpicking. Might find a lowden or a bourgeois or a breedlove.

Love the Lowden 0-25. The thing rings for weeks in lowered altered tunings. Have used many different strings including newtones. the ones i like best are the D'Addario fingerstyle set, compiled and sold by Kevin Ryan. Intresting blend of mediums on string 1,2,6 and lights on strings 3,4,5.

I also have it armed with a K&K Pure Trinity Western transducer/mic setup. The best out there!!

SO glad that George has his name, his company and his guitars back. Looking forward to hearing his new line
bobgordon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Celtic Guitar Talk